Be part of a unique opportunity to join the Assemble Communities team as Head Chef. We are opening a daytime cafe in our first and flagship Kensington site, designed by Six Degrees Architects.
We are looking for a Head Chef to help build and lead the kitchen team to produce simple food, done exceptionally well. Our cafe will be a zero organic waste operation and preference high-quality local suppliers wherever possible. The successful candidate will have excellent growth opportunities with Assemble and the potential to advance into an executive role across multiple sites within the next 18-24 months.
- Prepare flavourful, seasonal contemporary menus in collaboration with the Assemble team
- Ensure excellent quality in the production of all dishes and maintain consistency whilst balancing seasonality.
- Optimise systems and processes, reviewing these on an ongoing basis to find operational efficiencies and reduce waste
- Enforce and maintain best practice health and hygiene standards
- Possess relevant trade certificates and knowledge of best cooking practices and share that knowledge in training your kitchen team
- Lead the kitchen team effectively and efficiently, maintaining an inclusive, co-operative and friendly working environment that brings out the best in others
- Manage COGS, rosters and wage cost control
- Have excellent attention to detail and understand the importance of producing a high quality offer that is aligned with Assembles values and principles
- Proven track record and experience in a head chef role (min. 3 years)
- Relevant trade / commercial cookery qualifications
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Excellent use of various cooking techniques, methods, ingredient selection, equipment and processes
- Excellent multi tasking skills and and time management skills with an ability to work calmly under pressure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Must be able to work in Australia in a full-time capacity
- Must be available to work across weekends and opening and closing shifts if required
OUR OFFER TO YOU/ or YOUR OPPORTUNITY
- A supportive and inclusive work environment
- Exceptional growth and leadership opportunities
- Job stability and security
- Competitive Salary
- Two consecutive days off every week
- Flexible rostering based on individual requirements
- Ability to build your own team
- Exposure to high profile events and community activations
- Assemble will be recruiting a full kitchen team for an October cafe opening. If the Head Chef role isn’t right for you but you feel you’d be suited to another position in the Assemble kitchen team, send in your CV. We’d love to hear from you!
Why join Assemble:
Assemble is a housing developer and community management business on a mission to make thoughtfully designed, sustainable homes more accessible to more people. With a deep respect for people and place, we create communities that embrace diversity, reflect local culture, and nurture a stronger sense of ownership and belonging.
We are a tight-knit multidisciplinary team passionate about providing well-designed and attainable homes across Melbourne’s inner-city suburbs and maintaining a high-quality experience for our residents and community is key.
We value our people, offer competitive salaries and career progression opportunities so you can grow alongside us.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.